Insurance for your pet
Peace of mind for you
Insurance for your pet makes good economic sense. Accidents and illness can happen to any pet at any time, and costs of treatment and investigation can be worrying. The responsibility for these costs lies with you, the owner, and a good insurance policy could mean the difference between choosing the best treatment available and a less costly option. Pet insurance can provide peace of mind so that you do not have to make these difficult decisions, allowing you to focus on caring for your pet.
Please be aware that Ledbury Park Veterinary Centre does not provide insurance cover, and staff cannot offer advice on any insurance policies.
It is important to note that not all pet insurance is the same. There are many different types of policy available and the level of cover provided can vary considerably. The four main types of policy are as follows:
- Accident: provides cover for accidents only and no cover for illness
- Time-Limited: provides cover for a set amount of time (usually 12 months) and after this period the condition is excluded
- Maximum Benefit: provides cover up to a maximum amount of money per condition and once this limit is reached the condition is excluded
- Lifetime: provides a set amount of money each year which is refreshed each time you renew your policy allowing you to continue to claim for ongoing conditions
The type of policy you select may have implications for the veterinary care you choose for your pet and the costs you will face so it's important to opt for the right cover for your situation.
Sometimes the cheapest insurance can cost you more in the long run. When shopping around for a policy, we suggest that you ask the following questions to allow you to compare the overall value you are getting, not just the price:
- Does this policy cover congenital, hereditary, hip-related, dental and behavioural conditions?
- Is there a time or monetary limit on how long this policy will cover ongoing conditions for?
- If I claim, will my premium increase?
It is important to do your research and choose the right cover from the start, because if you try to switch pet insurance providers in the future any pre-existing conditions your pet has are likely to be excluded.
Ledbury Park Veterinary Centre strongly supports the principle of pet insurance, but respectfully reminds all clients that it remains your obligation to pay Ledbury Park Veterinary Centre for costs arising for treatment of your pet, and to claim these costs back from your insurance company. We do not make a charge for completion of insurance claim forms.